Sunday, January 3, 2010

Words to ponder...

The scripture James 3:9-12 was mentioned during the lesson at church tonight. It reads like this:

9With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. 10Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. 11Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? 12My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

Wow...I read it & knew it was filled with words I need to ponder!

I need to make sure that the words that come from my mouth are consistent with what I profess to believe. I must strive to "walk the walk" & not just "talk the talk".

I am also reminded that we are ALL made in God's likeness. I am not superior...or inferior...to anyone I come in contact with in my daily activities. Those precious kids at school (& their parents, too!) are just as precious to God as my family is...& I want to make sure to treat them with all the respect God would expect. It doesn't matter the balance of our checkbook, the size of our house, where we've been, what we've done, or how many degrees we have. God created & loves us ALL THE SAME!

Just a thought...

Thanks, Dr. Knox, for the reminder!!

1 comment:

Lissa Michelle said...

Flip Flippen told a story to the high school group after everyone else left about a time he was interviewing a pedifile, during which he became physically ill with hate for this man. He went on to say how he heard God telling him, "Can you love him?" After basically yelling back at God, "NO! I cannot! I hate him!" God kept nudging back at his heart saying, "Love him." How easy do we forget how much God loves ALL OF US. As I was sitting in the auditorium today, or really when I'm around a big group of people, I think, "Wow! God loves her and him and her and him all the same as he does me!" When you look at it that way, it's like how can we dislike others if they were made in Christ and loved by Christ, too? Thanks for the verse to ponder.