Thursday, July 8, 2010

This AM we headed out to a tour of the Eagles’ Nest. It is a building that is built at the TOP of a mountain high above Salzburg. It was built as a gift from the Germans to Hitler on the occasion of his 50th birthday in 1938. It is amazing to think that they were able to build the road and the structure in 13 months with the resources they had available in those days. The road is SO steep & narrow. I have to admit that I missed most of the ride up because my eyes were closed. We were on a big tour bus & the driver drove as if he were in a sports car. Honestly, it made my palms sweat when I looked. The view was beautiful, but I thought it a bit scary. Once we reached the top, we got to go into the building & climb to the top of the peak. Amazing views that we decided didn’t even look real. Instead, they looked like a backdrop that someone had painted.













It was a great day. The weather was perfect. Walked to the old town center, had a bite of lunch & came back to the room. Cori worked on homework that she had to finish up for her class, I read & Tommy watched CNN.


We’ve had LOTS of CNN this week. It’s the only channel we found in English. HA!


We’ll need to get packed up as we plan to leave for the airport at 9 AM tomorrow. We all agree it’s been a great trip & just the right amount of time away.

No comments: